Monday, August 12, 2019

Hammy's Gourmet Rally


Some say, he doesn't know how to use a clutch on a motorcycle.  And that he knows how to put on a fun rally.  All we know, is he's not the Stig, he's the Stig's gastronomic cousin Hammy Stig.  Don't get too far ahead here; none of these places are going to earn Michelin stars but the food is usually very good and a little bit funky.
Hammy rallies are generally not a serious event; it's more about the visits and the camaraderie than where you happened to finish up among the riders.  So in some respects, it's just like a regular rally.  Anyway, Hammy put together a list of mostly his favorite local restaurants and made a rally out of it.  Here's what they look like in a Google Map [those two starred places are some of my 'saved locations' from another map].

Hammy, being Hammy says you cant get them all even with this short of a list.  Well, in theory you can.  But I didn't feel like trying to tackle that task; I was still working on getting caught up from going to Minnesota the previous weekend and the loss of next week to the upcoming multi-day Loco Lobo Rally.  So I settled on doing a 10 hour or so rally, ignoring my starting receipt near the house and the double bonus in Remington about 15 minutes away.   Properly securing my starting receipt as well as my pre-flight bonus, off to Remington.
Paper Moon- both inside and out.  Kind of funky; shame they didnt offer any takeaway service.
 

Up an at-em at 10:15 pm, a quick shower and i'm on the road about an hour ahead of schedule- all this does impact when I get to Bethany Beach for my daylight only photo of Chief of Little Owl.  
First stop, the Boat House in downtown Annapolis on a Saturday night.  
I snuck into downtown via Allen Boulevard and departed via the harbor.  The area was awash with large quantities of drunken young people.  Back out onto US-50, there is construction on the westbound span forcing two way traffic on the 2 lane eastbound span.  ugh.  Just before the 50/301 split, there is a car hanging out in that "spot" just off my left shoulder where they are completely invisible ignoring the headlights on the road.  So I do the glance over the shoulder at the car- no action.  A moment later, I try it again and the car launches to well over 100 mph like that; Maryland staye trooper.  Garmin says there is rain in the area, with spotty showers on the map.  I was concerned the Choptank lighthouse would be hard to photograph in the dark; fortunately, it was well lit and fairly easy to snag, although I did have to walk out to the harbor wall.
 Back out onto 50 I finally get a chance to try out my new driving lights; I mounted one of each type to see which did a better job.  But before making any final decisions, I had to aim them better as the left one was pointed towards the tree tops and the right one was lighting up the median.  Not bad for eyeballing them up on sidestand in the back yard.  The DE-MD stateline runs right behind the crab house.
Now back onto the big roads again of US-13 and into Virginia for a quick stop at Mr Whippy's.  Coffee, donuts, latte.
I arrived at Bethany Beach over an hour before sunrise [6:08am] so I locate the nearby Wawa for a bite of food, a cup of coffee and a short nap.  Finally light enough for a "daylight" picture of Chief Little Owl.
 Now I have just over 5 hours of riding in front of me.  The traditional trudge from Bethany to Lewes wasnt terrible as normal, but there was an awful lot of traffic for 6:30 on a Sunday morning.
 Delaware has some humorous variable message boards reminding drivers that DE-1 is not the Autobahn, as cars go zooming by me at near triple digit speeds.  The address of Helen's Sausage House confuses the Google, but if you put in Helen's Sausage House it will put it the correct place, about 3 miles from the Wawa store it tries to send you.  This was also an outside/inside bonus but only available Saturday until "lunchtime" whatever that means.
 And off to New Jersey to arrive at Mr Bills in time for a classic car show.... oh goodie.
 Into PA for the last couple of stops; one of the bonuses was a generic 'any Primanti Brothers" en at.  This one is in Lancaster.
 Then finally Yoders for another twofer.  Any sign outside and a picture of the RallyHammy super duper bonus.
   
And then comes lunch.  here's the whole trip plus the Spotwalla link which has the photos imbedded in the map.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the report Rick, though I think you could've stretched it out to at least six parts. :) There's a big crab like that in Martinsburg WV too I think, maybe the same mold (?).

    ReplyDelete